Pro-Ject Phono Box S2
Phono preamplifier for moving magnet and moving coil cartridges
Performance, flexibility, and durability
Pro-Ject's Phono Box S2 phono preamp builds on the success of the popular Phono Box S. It has the same carefully selected amplifier modules and audiophile-grade components that make your treasured record collection shine, in a more rugged chassis made of sandwiched aluminum and metal.
No matter what kind of phono cartridge you mount on your turntable, this versatile preamp gives you a wide range of input settings to optimize its performance. A switchable subsonic filter protects your amplifier and speakers from low-frequency rumble below 20Hz.
The Phono Box S2 phono preamp is compatible with both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges, so you can count on proper matching with virtually any turntable and cartridge combination.
Fine-tune for the perfect match
Dip switches on the bottom of the chassis let you adjust the preamp's settings very specifically to get the most out of it.
For instance, our customers love the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, which comes with an Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge pre-mounted. Pro-Ject recommends that you set input impedance at 47k, input capacitance at 200pF, and input gain at 40dB. The manual that comes with the S2 includes clear diagrams that show how to set the dip switches for this and other popular cartridges, so you can upgrade without too much hassle.
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- audiophile-grade polypropylene WIMA capacitors in the signal path
- rugged aluminum/metal sandwich chassis construction
- switchable input impedance and capacitance settings for proper cartridge loading
- four adjustable gain levels to match phono cartridge output levels
- front-panel power on/off switch
- external power supply for reduced noise and interference
- switchable subsonic filter (-12dB @ 20Hz)
- dual-mono circuitry for optimal channel separation
- small size allows placement near turntable
- signal-to-noise ratio: 85dB
- THD: less than 0.01% (MM); less than 0.05% (MC)
- RIAA response accuracy: less than 0.4dB (20-20,000 Hz)
- one pair of RCA inputs and one pair RCA outputs
- 4-1/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 4-1/8"D
- weight: 1.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- MFR # 9120071658564
Features & specs
|Cartridge Type||MM, MC|
|Adjustable Resistance Load||Yes|
|Adjustable Capacitance Load||Yes|
|RCA Inputs||1 Pair|
|RCA Output||1 Pair|
|Signal-to-noise Ratio (MM)||85|
|Signal-to-noise Ratio (MC)||85|
Setting new standards for entry level phono stages!
Phono Box S was one of our favourite products, it offered unrivalled sonics and versitality at a very affordable price. When we started creating Phono Box S2, its successor, it had to have exactly that but improve on sound even further. Phono Box S2 features incredible micro-details, dynamics and precision with a soundstage usually found in much more expensive products. The new S2 style housing is made of an aluminium/metal sandwich construction and not only offers highest aesthetics but also out-standingly protects it from unwanted electromagnetic interferences and vibrations. This guarantees for an undisturbed listening experience without worries. The switches on the bottom of the unit allow fine tuning the sound to your preferences and adjusting Phono Box S2 to any available cartridge!
Phono Box S was considered the best option of all entry-level phono stages by many acclaimed hifi magazines, Phono Box S2 is sure to follow its predecessor‘s footsteps and will set new standards at this price point!