Soundsmith SG-610 MK VII
The Strain Gauge cartridge is not at all like any other cartridge. All other cartridges, whether moving magnet, moving coil, or moving iron, are "generators" - that is, you put motion in, and you get energy out: they generate a tiny voltage that you amplify and send to your speakers. The key here in describing all other cartridges is in the word moving because all other cartridges MUST move a mass around - a magnet, and iron core with wires (moving "coil") or iron.
All other cartridges are all magnetic generating systems, which require a mass to be constantly moved to generate a voltage. The Strain Gauge does not; the effective moving mass has been reduced by over 80%, allowing the stylus to stay in intimate contact with the groove walls and allowing the stylus to stop jittering - or "bouncing" in the groove as it now is not trying to move a "large" mass back and forth.
- Frequency response, DC to 70 kHz
- No "RIAA" filter circuitry is required or used in our preamp - just one ULTRA clean gain stage (this is because the Strain Gauge is a "displacement" device, not a "velocity" sensitive device like magnetic cartridges - see below).
- Compatible with standard "4 wire" tone arm wiring
- User Replaceable Nude "Contact-Line" stylus w/Ruby Cantilever (varied stylus types available)
- System Price includes Strain Gauge Cartridge and Soundsmith SG Preamp of your choice
- "Fixed" Line level & +10 dB variable outputs, both Balanced and Unbalanced (via RCA jacks)
- High Compliance design and freedom from low frequency saturation assures excellent tracking ability and performance with any tone arm
- All preamp models now feature toggling between the Strain Gauge function and single or (multiple) line inputs for maximum hookup flexibility to your equipment
- Low tracking forces with extreme precision
- Compatible with any ½" mount headshell - uses STANDARD 4 wire tone arm wiring
- Frequency response DC - 70 kHz with only 10° of phase shift in the audio band (rumble filter built in @ 12 Hz - passive type before single flat gain stage
- Front panel displays for tracking force (digital readout), AC component of the vertical tracking force, force balance per groove wall, and record eccentricity! (on models 810, 610,and 600 only)
- Fixed and variable, balanced and unbalanced outputs via RCA jacks. Our variable output will provide up to +10dB level, and may be used DIRECTLY into any amplifier with balanced or unbalanced inputs.
- Advanced muting features: Automatic Cue-Up muting (works with any turntable, and is user defeatable), manual muting control, and fault-sensing auto-mute to allow "hot plugging" of the tone arm or cartridge with the volume up, thus eliminating buzz or transients (allows stylus cleaning, adjustments, etc....)
- User replaceable styli available in varied compliance and configurations (Ruby & Aluminum cantilever, Nude Contact
- Line &, Elliptical Styli,78 Styli) Styli replacement costs from $350 - $950
- IR Hand Held Remote for remote controlled models controls volume, mute, power (and input switching on the SG-510 and SG-810)
- All models feature front panel finger "light-touch" control switches for power, manual muting and front panel lighting control (on models 810,610 & 600) allowing adjustable front panel lights from "automatic room lighting level" to variable intensity - full bright to off. (All other models have rear manual control for lighting intensity) Our lucite volume knob changes color to indicate the state of operation: RED (standby); Yellow (auto-mute); flashing yellow (manual mute); Blue (unmuted - playing)
- Our Strain Gauge cartridge requires specialized preamp circuitry, and is sold with any of seven models of Soundsmith's preamplifiers - All models have both fixed and +10 dB variable outputs - and can be used directly into an "aux" input on your preamp, or used DIRECTLY into any power amplifier.
All models have identical sonic characteristics and vary only in features:
SG-610 - Dedicated Preamp for Strain gauge Plus ONE Line input- Front panel "touch" & Remote control for volume, mute and power; full Strain Gauge performance displays; lighting intensity control (auto room adjust or manual "linear control" from lights off to full bright)